Thursday, July 11, 2013

Going to college? Join the club!

IT'S ALREADY JULY???


Wait...

IT'S ALREADY ALMOST THE MIDDLE OF JULY???????


How did this happen?  This means I go back to school in a month!

AND, it means some of you will be starting college in a month!

WHOA.


So, being the thoughtful person that I am, I thought I would make a list (it's been so long since I've made one of those, you guys!) of some stuff that I've discovered really helped me out last year, whether it be for actual classes or dorm life.

**SIDE NOTE** If you are still on the fence about living on campus, I highly suggest you try it out, if only for a semester.  You get to meet a whole bunch more people, and it's cool to kinda live life on your own without fully being on your own.  It isn't for everybody, but you really don't know if you'll like it or not until you give it a shot!! :)

anyways, here's some things that made my first year of college a lot better.

(Also, considering I've only been to Missouri State, some of the things I say may only pertain to the MSU experience.  But I think a lot of my suggestions will help out no matter what college you attend...hopefully.)

1) LAPTOP

Now I know that not everyone can afford a laptop, and that's okay.  I know at MSU that there are several different computer labs around campus--in the library and in some, if not all, of the residence halls.  If you can afford a laptop, get one.  If you have any sort of blended course you'll need easy access to the internet, and it can get kind of annoying going back and forth to the library.  Plus, you can go off campus and still work on homework and papers and such.

2) LAP DESK

This was one of the best dorm room purchases I made.  I'm not somebody who likes to sit at a desk, so the lap desk allowed me to have a flat surface to work on homework while sitting on my bed or on the couch or whatever.  It's awesome, and I use it all the time.  If you get one, try to find one that isn't plastic.  I got mine at Target last year for somewhere around $12.

3) MESH LAUNDRY BAG

Socks: the most annoying part of doing laundry.  Somehow, even if you're super careful, you lose one and it gets super annoying cuz it's always your favorite pair of socks (PEOPLE CAN HAVE FAVORITE SOCKS, OKAY??).  The solution: a mesh laundry bag.  You put all your socks in it, and just through it into the washer with all your other clothes (but make sure it's completely zipped...I made that mistake before). It can also go in the dryer, and you don't lose your socks!! Thanks to Pinterest for this lovely idea.

4) RAIN JACKET/BOOTS AND/OR UMBRELLA

Missouri State University's rain drainage system+crazy Missouri weather=a lot of ruined shoes.  Seriously. Ask anyone who goes to school there.  Even if you only wear the stuff like 3 times, IT WILL BE WORTH IT.

5) HEADPHONES AND SOME SORT OF MUSIC PLAYER

Sometimes you have to get from one side of campus to the other in a matter of minutes. This feat is way easier when you have an awesome soundtrack urging you on.  Also, if you are in a situation where you don't want to talk to anyone, headphones+sunglasses=anti-social mode. And trust me, sometimes you want to be anti-social.  College kids can be WEIRD.

6) ID HOLDER AND LANYARD

At MSU, you use your student ID all. the. time.  It's easy to have it attached to your keys for simple access.  The lanyard makes it easier to hold, and to find if it gets lost in the deep recesses of your backpack or bag. BUT, unless you want to look like a freshman who has no idea what you're doing, DO NOT WEAR THE LANYARD. I don't know why this is a thing, but it is.

These are just a few of the things that made my college life way better.  If you have any questions about other things, feel free to comment on here or message me on Facebook. I'm more than happy to help!!

That's all for now!
Alaina :)

No comments:

Post a Comment